This applet simulates the Luo-Rudy dynamic model in a 1D cable or 1D ring of any length between 0.38 cm and 16 cm. Initiation by a stimulus, propagation, and complex reentry in a loop can be studied.
To learn more about the model in a single cell, use the LRd single cell applet or visit Dr. Rudy's lab CBRTC and the official LRd model web site.
- The Start button initiates the applet. An action potential can be produced either by pressing the Apply S1 button or by clicking inside the panel with the mouse, which will produce a stimulus that will generate an action potential if large enough.
- The length can be changed at any time by using the Cable Length slider. The new length is automatically indicated on the horizontal axis (minimum length is 0.5 cm, maximum is 20 cm).
- To observe AP initiation or propagation in more or less detail, the simulation speed can be increased or decreased at any time by using the Simulation Speed slider.
- When initiating a stimulus using the Apply S1 button, attributes of the stimulus can be set by using the Strength, Duration, Length, and Position text boxes.
- The list box in the bottom left corner is used to choose either a cable or a ring simulation. Note: using a long cable before changing from a cable to a ring is recommended to prevent self-termination of the wave.
- The gna, gnab and gs text-boxes are used to set the sodium and calcium conductances used in the simulation.
- The check boxes on the right indicate which variables are plotted.
- The Reset button brings the membrane potential of all the cells back to the rest state.
- The Stop button is used to stop the simulation at any time. The simulation can be resumed by using the Continue button that replaces the Stop button when the simulation is stopped.